Friday, August 19, 2016

lady of perpetual solace


l'achi 

ave maria
those were my first words
lying in the incense cloaked dark
i didn't know you then
but still i whispered to myself
ave maria
and sent up my sighs, 
mourning and weeping
morning and evening
i didn't know what i was saying

on the first day of my life
there was light and there was darkness
the heat and sun mingled in the quad
and the cold stone dimness of heaven
i sat, second row from the back
far corner, and did not understand
didn't see the queen's shining face
amen amen, i murmured, 
and did not understand

you heard me then, 
when i was silent
and later, 
in screams and sobs
your face was perpetual
veiled as moses
compassionate yet staid
like the icon on the altar

you hear and do not speak
my lady of perpetual solace
the deep well of my pain
you drink it down
reflect back stars,
night and day
day and night
and keep your peace
your peace and mine

the angel of the lord 
declared to maryam
and thus spoke maryam
be it done to me
according to your word
and according to your word
it will be done

my lady of perpetual solace
hearing and not speaking
loving and not touching
interceding without ceasing
and wounded for my wounds
ave ave maria

No comments:

Post a Comment